Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mind Over Matter

We were having a discussion last evening over pizza and beer. Yes, runners can eat pizza and drink beer. Great article in the March issue of Runner's World, "The Suds Report."

Our discussion was how the mind can control the body. Specifically, I was running the Breast Cancer Half-Marathon on Sunday in Jacksonville Beach, FL. It turned out to be a hotter than expected day with temperatures well into the 70's and no shade. I had started out with a fast pace (for me). I completed the first 5 miles in 40:38. At the turn around point I began to feel the effects of the heat and direct sun. I slowed my pace, knowing I was still below my goal of finishing under 2:00 hours. A 9:00 minute per mile pace will give you a 1:58. At the 11 mile mark I was maintaining a pace that would put the 2:00 hour goal in jeopardy. I reached the 11 mile mark at 1:40, one minute behind pace. I have a dear friend "Donna" who is currently battleing breast cancer. I was running for her, with her in my heart and her bib number was pinned under mine. She had signed up to run, but was unable.....wait until next year. I knew she and her husband would be at the finish. At that point, mile 11, I let my mind take over. My body said "NO" my mind said "YES". I completed the last 2.1 miles in 15:24 or a 7:20 minute per mile pace. That's my 5K pace, not my half-marathon pace. "WE" finished in 1:55:24.

9 comments:

Eileen Daly-Boas said...

Can I just have the pizza and beer and still count as a runner? No? hmmm.

Glad to see you're up and running. ha, ha.

ShirleyPerly said...

Smoking last mile pace! Great job and congrats on 3rd place in your AG!!

PS - Better keep this blog 'cause I wanna add you to my Blogger Supastahs list.

Jim said...

You were a big inspiration, not just with the blog but with my running. Thank You!

Cathy Payne said...

So you ran for two, did you drink for two later?

Jim said...

Sorry Cathy. I really had a craving for chocolate milk when we were driving back! Someone in the group did a "buy one get one free" beer at lunch.

Donna N. said...

I'm the "Donna" that Jim ran the breast cancer half marathon for. Thanks my good friend. Cannot wait to get out there and run one for myself. Not to mention "WE" PR'd!!!!

Jim said...

Donna,

Thanks for your comment. We have a "date". Wouldn't it be wonderful if we never had to run a race for any disease!

Prayers & Love

peter said...

Hey great job. I had a race once (Inaugural Disneyland HM) where at MP 10 (1:21) I had that type of debate with myself (nothing as inspirational as your motivation, which was for somebody dear, mine was only about money (airfare hotel etc.) and pride) and I unleashed a 23:05 final 5K to make my goal. Nonetheless I was dissatisfied with my overall time at first, til days later I thought, I ran a great race. As did you. Yours is a really an inspiring "gut check" response. Wow. If I come to FL, can I run with you?

Jim said...

Peter... I did the math on your Disneyland half. You're more than welcome to run with me/us in Florida, just wait up for the "Geezer". Florida has several nice marathons and halfs beside Disney. Not as expensive. I hope you checked out the website for the "26.2 with Donna".