Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving


I had several options for a run on Thanksgiving morning. For the past several years I have run the "Turkey Trot" in downtown Orlando. It has grown in size to the point where I don't find it enjoyable to run. One large mass of humanity.

I decided to run the "Deland 10 Miler" on the recommendation of Keith from our running group. It is a combination run with a 5K and the 10 mile run. It is run on a very flat course through rural Florida. Small farms and residential areas dotted the landscape. At about mile 2, a turkey let out a very loud "gobble, gobble". Not too smart on Thanksgiving Day! Maybe he was saying, "I'm OK"! Best wishes for next year.

The 700+ runners who started, became about 300 as the 5K runners turned to make their way back. I was running with Sheri at an 8:00 minute pace for the first 4-5 miles. As we turned around at the 5 mile mark we slowed the pace just a bit. We finished strong right at the 1:22:00 mark. A hard run, but I found it enjoyable.

I was a bit surprised to find that I finished 2nd in my age group. Sheri finished 4th in her age group. We stayed for the award ceremony and received very unique awards (see photo). They were printed on metal license plates.

It was a fun way to start of the holiday. I'm pretty sure we will return next year.

Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday.

No comments: