Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Boilermaker 15K



The photo is of the "Geezer" along with my nephew aka "Runner's Anonymous", prior to the "Boilermaker 15K" in 2007. The race is held in the Central New York city of Utica. This year the race will be held on July 13th, and we both plan on being there. Contrary to popular belief, the race is not named for the intoxicating combo of a shot and a beer. Rather, it is named for one of the major manufacturing facilities, Utica Boilers, Inc. For many years this race was the largest 15K in the United States, attracting over 10,000 runners, 2007 was the 30th anniversary. This year it was surpassed by the "Gate River Run", in Jacksonville, FL.

For a Florida runner like myself, it is a hilly course. Locals in Utica and "up north" are not as impressed with the hills. Two years ago I was running up one of the hills around mile 7 and found myself next to a young man who was huffing and puffing. He was cursing the hills as we moved along. I asked him where he was from, figuring he was another "flatlander" like me. His response surprised me, he said, "Utica." He went on to tell me he doesn't like to train on hills!

The July date also makes it a very hot run. The start time is 8:00am, please move it to 7:00am! The course has an average of three (3) water/Gatorade/ice stops per mile, that's correct, twenty-seven (27) stops! The locals are also helpful in bringing out the garden hoses and spraying the runners.

The event attracts many world class athletes, including myself (just wanted to see if you were paying attention.) There is a contingent of Kenyan runners, along with top U.S. runners. Brian Sell, a qualifier for the 2008 Olympic marathon, ran in 2006. Bill Rodgers and Frank Shorter are regulars each year.

Do you have a favorite race you would like to tell us about? Maybe one not familiar to the readers. What is your "secret" race?

9 comments:

Donna N. said...

Four years ago I did the Peachtree 10K in Atlanta. I've tried to get back every year since, but have not been able to make it for one reason or another. It is thee most fun race. Before you even cross the start line, the elite are finished! There are thousands upon thousands of runners. The crowd support is like I've never seen. Publix is out there with donuts, there are beer stops, priests blessing you with holy water. It is CRAZY fun. Of course Cardiac Hill is a little tough but what the heck.
What I like most about it though is you don't get your T-shirt unless you finish the race. AND you don't know what it will look like until then, because they keep that a surprise. I strongly recommend the Peachtree
10k to everyone! Oh by the way, it's always on the Fourth of July. : )

Donna N. said...

By the way, did I mention there are 55,000 runners? Yep, 55,000 runners. Plan on next year, cause it's already closed for this year.

Jim said...

Re: The Boilermaker, they do not give away a t-shirt! They give you a beer glass. The sponsor is a brewery and there is free beer at the post race party. I like beer, but not right after a race. Last year I found a coffee company giving away free coffee, I chose to have a cup.

Runner's Anonymous said...

Be sure to keep that pic. It will be the last one you see me wearing that singlet. Damn thing is bad luck! I wore it a month previous to that pic at the God's Country Marathon. I had an outstanding first hour then the temp rose from 58 to 90! You already know how my 2007 Boilermaker turned out. Thank you Bob!

For anyone else reading this definitely look into The Boilermaker. It's a great race. 2007 was just not a good year for me.

Jim said...

Try to find a "cold" shirt, I don't have any. I'll change mine too. You know what they say, "be careful what you wish for."

Runner's Anonymous said...

Actually, I think the singlet in your new picture is pretty sharp. Don't have a spare do ya?

I have a new Kelly Green one that I like. Got it on sale from Dick's Sporting Goods.

ShirleyPerly said...

I definitely see a family resemblance!

How funny to hear about so many water stops at that 15K but perhaps it's needed with the heat and the large number of participants.

I'll have to think about what my favorite race is ... but if I tell you my secret race, I don't think it'll be a secret any more!

peter said...

The Ukrops Monument Avenue 10K in the spring in Richmond is just a fabulous big run. A flat run with a wonderful wave start past (troubled) history in the form of all those huge icons on the cobbled avenue to the lost cause, capped by a run around the Arthur Ashe statue (a Richmond native), then a return run to the end. It's great! The locals all come out, bands play from the wide grassy median, the Kenyans chase the lottery runner who has a handicapped head start of many minutes, costumes abound.

Jade Lady said...

Sounds like a great race, and huge!

I haven't raced in recent times, but the ones that resonate in my mind are:

1. Best Party Race Ever: Bay to Breakers - SF Bay Area.

2. My most memorable race in Austin is the Decker Challenge

Wanna know why? See my blog - I just didn't want to take up too much space in your comment section.